Tuesday 8 November 2016

What'chia Eating? - To Supplement or not to supplement

I have always been a big believer in getting all the nutrients you need from food. And whilst I still stand by this, I am keen to see if certain supplements can help improve my digestion issues and bloating, as well as give me an extra boost of energy.

The supplements which I am trying are: Chlorella, Chia and Acai berries. I know they aren't really supplements and they are generally natural sources of nutrients but they are high up on the "superfood" list and can't be found in your everyday apple. So let's see if the new additions to my diet make a difference.



These are supposed to be the answer to all my digestive problems.

Side note: This is not a cheap experiment so I shopped around before taking the plunge. Holland and Barrett currently have the penny sale on and so I bought the Chlorella and Acai from there at a cost of £16 approx and bought 3 Chia shots for £1 from Tesco to get me started.

So here are the alleged benefit of each.

Chlorella - the one I am most looking forward to trying.

Chlorella balances gut flora by normalising the good bacteria in your gut. It is also a source of Iron,
Vitamins B6 and B12 which stimulates renewal of cells and digestive tissues.
It also helps to detoxify your body by removing alcohol, pesticides, heavy metals and toxins from your system.
I intend on having this daily either in a smoothie or mixed into my yoghurt. Any other suggestions are welcome!



Acia - (I have only recently learned to pronounce this properly and I have tried the berries before).

This berry contains antioxidants Vitamin E and Polyphenols which help your body to deal with free radicals from chemicals in food which may trigger bloating and discomfort.
It is also rich in Omega 3, 6 and 9 Oleic acid which nourishes your body.
I intend on taking these in tablet form each evening.




Chia - I have had these a few times before and I am not particularly keen on chia puddings - the texture isn't my cuppa tea.

However, these little seeds are gentle on the digestive system and are high in omega 3, which provides the essential components that our cell membranes need. Omega 3 helps our body to make new cells which is especially important in the digestive tract where our tissues renew at a faster rate than anywhere else.
Chia seeds are also a great source of soluble fibre thanks to the jellified substance it makes in water. This helps to prolong hydration and ensures everything moves through the digestive system properly.

I will pop these into my morning yoghurt / oats / cereal or in my smoothie.

I will let you  know how I feel with the addition of these in my diet soon! X

No comments:

Post a Comment